Sunday, November 6, 2011

NaBloPoMo Day #6

Day 6 - My horse's favorite food


I don't feed many things other than hay and grain.  Once in a while I will do carrots or apples.  Normally the mares just get Rounders cookies each day.  So I don't really know what to answer for "favorite" food.  All three of them enjoy the cookies!


I will say that Dreamy would not eat carrots when I first got her.  She absolutely REFUSED them.  LOL!  I used to give carrots at night check instead of the cookies, but I had to give Dreamy apples instead.  I started to add carrots to her PM grain and after leaving the chunks a few nights in a row, she finally started to eat them.  She is hands down the pickiest horse I have ever met!


Sparky, on the other hand, will eat ANYTHING!  She has eaten just about every type of food I might have on me at the barn or at a show.  She is not picky AT ALL!


I am not sure about Reva...I have never really offered her much besides the apples and carrots and cookies!


Reva thinks she wants a piece of pizza from my husband.  LOL!  He wouldn't share, so I have no idea if she likes pizza...hahaha!





4 comments:

AareneX said...

When I got my first standie (Story) off the track, she refused carrots--I think they must've hidden meds in them at some point. She learned to eat them, eventually.

I also had a horse once who wouldn't eat apples--he'd smash his lips together and raise his head up high so I couldn't even reach his mouth. Then, one day, he got hungry...and all I had with me was an apple. After that, no problem. >g<

Ruffles said...

lol, She looks like she REALLY wants a piece of that pizza.
My horse absolutely loves lemonade popsicles.

samihob said...

Great blog! Why not come and post it at Haynet - an equine social blogging network at http://hay-net.co.uk/

Kate said...

Aww, what a sweet picture. One of the horses I used to part board loved grapes, specifically green ones! NEver tried feeding those to my mare... but she'd probably eat 'em. I also know a horse who loves M&Ms.